Nein Oh Nein

This post originally appeared on the SS-30M site on 22nd May 2018


During the winter months, I wasn't idle. One of two projects I started is complete and, what is more, I have tested out a couple of things which will be useful for the SS-30.

Eurorack has been a distraction from the SS-30M in the past. Now I'm trying to make it my winter activity and also, to limit the GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) by only building and not buying.



This is a combined Rim Shot and Clap from the Hexinverter Nein Oh Nein range. These are exact clones of the TR-909 sounds. I got the PCBs from Modular Addict.

I wanted to try a few panel ideas out, so I made it quite hard for myself. The two main things were

1) Use the UV printing and threaded studs from Schaeffer
2) have a sub-panel so there are no nuts showing on the front-panel.

I would have made an exception for the socket nuts but then I decided that the other idea would be:

3) Make it look as close as possible to the TR-909.

That meant having to have PCB mount sockets. Of course, with the studs on the back of the panel, I could fix the PCB in place. But, I would have to make a PCB, which I've never done before.
The whole thing was quite tight on space too. I had to carefully select small enough sockets to leave space for the fixings.
I got the knobs from the folks doing Nava 909 clones and they are 6mm D shaft wich limited the potentiometer choices too.
With the PCB mounting to consider as well, it became a bit of a puzzle to align everything 'just so'.



Luckily a colleague is a regular at Fab Lab and he cut my front-panel and sub-panels in perspex so I could check everything. In the end, I decided to stick with the perspex sub-panel instead of getting one from Schaeffer.

I made a couple of errors on the sub-panel and I would have had a new one cut but the laser at Fab Lab broke. I couldn't wait so I re-drilled it myself.



The PCB was made by PCBWay for $5 plus postage but despite apparently getting everything right it was still a fuck-up.



I was so sure it was right but when I wired it in it was actually back to front. All the signals were grounded and vice-versa. Turns out, whoever entered the Lumberg socket part into Eagle swapped a couple of the pins around and I never noticed. Rather than get it redone I decided to simply hack it. Cutting tracks and soldering wires directly onto the pads. Better luck next time.



The front-panel was perfect though.



I think I stretched the UV printing as far as I could. It pretty good but the colours are OK rather than great and the detail is no better than a basic inkjet printer gets on paper.




The main thing I was happy with was the threaded inserts used to hold the sub-panel onto the front-panel.



Overall I am happy with it, but the UV print quality is a bit iffy. My next project is an 808 Toms clone. For that, I want a black front-panel with white legends, like the SS-30M. That should give me a better idea of what white and black is like. The Fab Lab laser still broken so that project is stalled for now though. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

808 Snare - Mutations

AteOhAte Toms